Nuclear regulatory authority
The independent regulatory authority is the Nuclear Regulatory Agency .
Nuclear energy activities
There are two reactors - type WWER 1000, model 320 - currently in operation; four reactors - type WWER 440, model 230 - are being prepared for decommissioning. One research reactor was shutdown in 1989. By the decision of the Government the research reactor is planned to be modified to a low power reactor. Based on the decision of the Council of Ministers the activities regarding the new nuclear build at Belene site are suspended. In addition there are waste disposal facilities, medical units, industrial radioactive sources, and transportation of radioactive material.
Net Capacity (MWe)
|Status||Construction Date||Criticality Date||Grid Date||Commercial Date||
Radioactive waste and spent fuel management
- Specialized division on Novi Han storage facility site (close to Sofia) – responsible for processing and storage of low- and intermediate level RAW generated in industry, medicine and science.
- Specialized division responsible for the implementation of the project for National dosposal facility for low- and intermediate RAW from nuclear facilities and nuclear applications. The site selection process is completed and the facility is in its design stage.
- Specialized division on Kozloduy NPP site responsible for conditioning and storage of low and intermediate level RAW generated as a result of the operation of the Kozloduy NPP.
- Specialized division on Kozloduy NPP site established responsible for decommissioning of KzNPP units 1&2.
The only facility, which generates spent nuclear fuel in Bulgaria, is the Kozloduy NPP. The SF is stored in the reactor pools and in a wet type spent fuel storage facility. Apart from the storing of SF on site of the Kozloduy NPP, part of it is shipped annually to the country of origin for reprocessing and storage. A dry spent fuel storage facility is in a process of commissioning.
Main legal instruments
- Act on the Safe Use of Nuclear Energy
- Health Law
- Environmental Protection Act
- Law on Access to Public Information